Monday, January 5, 2009

Michelle Frizzle, Chancellor of D.C. Magic School Buses

I whined to Neema yesterday that all I ever wanted to do anymore was shop. He said that I should start spending time writing again because it is something fulfilling to me.
Instead I'm blogging. I'm not sure if that's much of a cure. Over winter break, I facebook stalked lots of people and the most fabulous of the bunch blogged. Lots of them blogged about shopping. Once I had a Teach for America blog. I wrote about teacher clothes.

I'm a English/Language Arts teacher in a small town on the U.S.-Mexico border. I am torn between wanting to look like Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus



and this description of Michelle Rhee, from a Time Magazine article:

She emerged from her chauffeured black SUV with two BlackBerrys and a cell phone and began walking--fast--toward the front door of the first school. She wore a black pencil skirt, a delicate cream blouse and strappy high heels. When we got inside, she walked into the first classroom she could find and stood to the side, frowning like a specter. When a teacher stopped lecturing to greet her, she motioned for the teacher to continue. Rhee smiled only when students smiled at her first.

I think I look somewhere in-between. I can't wear cream; I am too messy. I can't have a pet lizard; I am too irresponsible. I can't drive a school bus and I can't afford a chauffeur. I drive my own black SUV. High heels make my feet hurt and I have yet to find the perfect purple flats.


I crave shopping and write about clothes because I'm not sure I like teaching. I AM sure that I love biryani. Since I don't know how to make it, here's a recipe for cookies*:


Oh, great, I can't find my recipe for cookies. They're really good cookies, perfect with a cup of Earl Grey tea.



* I am not/refuse to be a "foodie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you want what you really really (or kind of sort of) want